|Home||FAQs||The Cohort||Alumni||How to Apply||Faculty||Accolades||Photos|
Important Challenge Dates for 2021-2022
Challenge information night will be January 13, 2021 at 7:00pm BY ZOOM at Esquimalt High School. Zoom meeting information will be sent out closer to the meeting time.
Part 1 of the Challenge Application form can be handed in after the information meeting or returned to Mount Douglas Secondary School at 3970 Gordon Head Road in person to the main office or by mail, fax or email (FAX: 250-477-0277 Email firstname.lastname@example.org). The due date is January 18, 2021.
Part 2 of the application package should be delivered to Uplands School, 3461 Henderson Road at your assigned testing session time on (date TBA)
All work samples will be available for pick up after the evaluation process (dates TBA) from the school library.
District Challenge Testing Program
In order for students to be considered for the Challenge Program they must be tested. The testing is used in conjunction with the student’s application to create a student profile. The information below is intended to help you understand District Program’s testing process.
A test schedule will be sent to each applicant (via e-mail or phone) and sent to his/her current school during the latter part of January. This notice will specify scheduled testing dates and times. The student must come to the test location on the day and time specified. If your child cannot attend on the date scheduled, please call or e-mail the school to re-schedule your child’s testing session. If your child is ill on the day of his/her test, please call the school in the morning to arrange for an alternative date.
- The School Based Teacher or Principal may select students who they consider eligible for consideration. Selections may be based upon identification materials contained in the District #61 Resource Book for teachers of Challenge students. Parents may also refer their children for consideration by applying through Mount Douglas or Esquimalt Secondary School.
- Part 1 of the application form can be filled in the night of the information meeting or can be returned to Mount Douglas Secondary School at 3970 Gordon Head Road Victoria, B.C. V8N 3X3 by mail, in person to the main office, fax 250-477-0277 or email to: email@example.com or to Esquimalt Secondary at 847 Colville Rd, Victoria, B.C. V9A 4N9, Fax: 250-361-1263 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Part 2 of the application package should be delivered to the testing site at your assigned testing session time.
- Upon receipt of the Challenge Application, an evaluation form will be sent to the student’s current teacher(s).
- Testing: Parents and students will be provided with more information about the testing session via e-mail.
Once all information is received and collated, the Screening Committee will meet and decisions will be made to accept the applicant into the District Program; place the applicant on a wait list pending available seats in the District Program; or notify the applicant that he/she has not been accepted into the District Program.
Mount Douglas/Esquimalt will establish and maintain a roster of recommended students; communicate in writing the status of the student to the recommending school and parents; and hold all student work and materials for pickup at Mount Douglas/Esquimalt Secondary after the selection process is complete.
The Committee will discuss the decision with the parents and with the student, if appropriate.
Upon request of the parents and student, the District Committee will reconsider previously and newly submitted information on a student who has not been placed in a gifted program.
The appeal must be received in writing within two weeks of placement notification.