SOURCES OF INFORMATION
Mount Douglas has a wide variety of calendars from major colleges and universities in Canada, located in the Career Centre (library). Post-secondary institutions in Canada, the U.S.A., and around the world now maintain Internet Web Sites which are valuable up-to-date sources of program information.
BC Post-Secondary Pathways: required high school courses
Note: This is a recommendation with information current to November 30th, 2014. Students/ families need to verify program entrance requirements for their Colleges/Universities choices. The pre-requisites listed are for BC universities. Other provinces may have similar requirements, but please research to confirm courses needed. Note – some universities require a language 11 for direct entrance.
Arts, Social Sciences, Humanities: English 12 (required)
Business: English 12 (required), Pre-Calculus 12 (required)
Engineering and Physics: English 12 (required), Physics 12 (required), Pre-Calculus 12 (required), Calculus 12 (recommended), ICTP 12 (recommended), (Biology 12 and Chemistry 12 are required for certain types of Engineering. e.g. Chemical Engineering)
Sciences: English 12 (required), Physics 11 (required), Chemistry 11 and 12 (required), Biology 12 (required), Biology 11 (recommended for those taking first year Biology), Pre-Calculus 12 (required)
BC Post-Secondary Undergraduate Admission Links (and GPA cut-offs)
- program A-Z guide: www.camosun.ca/learn/
- Admissions – First apply, first qualified for many programs. Other programs competition-based.
- Contact Academic Advising for more information: http://camosun.ca/services/academic-advising/
- Year 1 admission averages: http://www.uvic.ca/future-students/undergraduate/admissions/self-reporting/
- Future UVic Students
- Admission requirements for BC high school students
- BC & Yukon Students : www.you.ubc.ca/how to apply
- Admissions averages – http://you.ubc.ca/admissions/canadian-highschools/required-grades/
- Year 1 admission averages: http://www.sfu.ca/students/admission-requirements/admission-averages.html
Grade 11 Math Pathways:
- If you are registering for Pre-Calculus 11, recommended science choices for this pathway are Chemistry 11, Physics 11 or Biology 11 (you may need to take more than one Science elective if you are going into Sciences)
- If you are taking Foundations of Math 11, recommended science elective is Biology 11 or Earth Science 11.
- If you are taking Apprentice and Workplace Math 11, your science recommendation is Earth Science 11.
Additional Websites of Interest
My BC Campus
The Post-Secondary Application Service of British Columbia allows students to apply online for admission to attend a post-secondary institution in British Columbia. To begin, you will first need to create your “myBCcampus” account. If you already have an account, click the “Apply Now” button to login with your username and password.
Please note that students wishing to apply to the University of Victoria must do so directly at www.uvic.ca/application
Education Planner is endorsed by the public post-secondary institutions of BC, managed by the BC Council on Admissions and Transfer, and funded by the BC Ministry of Advanced Education.
Language Proficiency Index
Most B.C. universities with the exception of UVic require writing of the LPI for placement in English courses. Because each institution has different criteria for exemption and course placement, students need to check the website of their chosen university for the correct information. Registration for the LPI is at the website above. Check the website for the sitting dates. The exam may be written at Camosun College.