New and exciting academic opportunity at Mount Douglas Secondary coming Fall 2021!
Do you have a passion for math and science? Are you interested in a career in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) field? You may be interested in the opportunity of graduating with a STEM certificate from Mount Douglas Secondary. This rigorous compilation of coursework will set you up for post-secondary opportunities in mathematics, science, computer science and engineering. Students must complete all listed requirements below by graduation.
Must have completed the following to earn the STEM certificate at graduation:
- One of: Science 9 or Science 9 Challenge
- One of: Math 9, Math 9 Challenge or Math 9 Honours
- One of: Science 10 or Science 10 Challenge
- One of: FMPC 10, FMPC Challenge, or FMPC Honours
- One of: Pre-calculus 11 or Pre-calculus 11 Honours
- Chemistry 11 and Physics 11
- A minimum of two of: Physics 12, Chemistry 12, Anatomy & Physiology 12 or Climate Change 12
- One of: Pre-calculus 12 or Pre-calculus 12 Honours
- One of: Calculus 12 or AP Calculus 12
- One of: Information & Communications Technology 9, Web Development 10 or Computer Studies 10
- A minimum of one of: Computer Science 11 or Computer Programming 11
- A minimum of one of: Robotics (9, 10, 11 or 12), Drafting (9, 10, 11 or 12) or Design and Innovation (9, 10, 11 or 12)
- Participated in a minimum of two of: Waterloo Math Competition (CEMC), Math Challengers, Canadian Computing Competition (CEMC), Kwantlen Science Competition, Vancouver Island Regional Science Fair, COMC (Canadian Open Mathematics Competition), or any other approved Provincial or National competition.
** Students that are interested in pursuing post-secondary opportunities in Computer Science, should also take Computer Science 12 and AP Computer Science 12. AP Statistics should be considered for those wishing to pursue science and mathematics.