Graduation Requirements and Additional Credits

Graduation Requirements

Students require a minimum of 80 credits to graduate.

Of these 80 credits:

  • At least 16 credits must be at the Grade 12 level, including a required Language Arts 12
  • At least 28 credits must be elective course credits
  • 52 credits are required from the following:
    • Career-Life Education (4 credits), and Career-Life Connections (4 credits)
    • Physical and Health Education 10 (4 credits)
    • Science 10 (4 credits), and a Science 11 or 12 (4 credits)
    • Social Studies 10 (4 credits), and a Social Studies 11 or 12 (4 credits)
    • A Math 10 (4 credits), and a Math 11 or 12 (4 credits)
    • A Language Arts 10, 11 and a required 12 (12 credits total)
    • An Arts Education 10, 11, or 12 and/or an Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies 10, 11, or 12 (4 credits total)

In addition, students must also complete three new graduation assessments:

  • The new Grade 10 Graduation Numeracy Assessment was introduced in 2018
  • The new Grade 10 Graduation Literacy Assessment will be introduced in 2019/20
  • The New Grade 12 Graduation Literacy Assessment will be introduced in 2020/21

Note on Language Arts 12 exams: Students graduating in the 2018/19 school year will not write a literacy assessment. They will write the course-based Language Arts 12 provincial exam.

Note on Career Life Education: For 2018/19, the following career education courses will be used in all BC schools:

  • Career Life Education
  • Graduation Transitions

For 2019/20 and beyond, the following career education courses will be used in all BC schools:

  • Career Life Education
  • Career Life Connections

Students on the B.C. Graduation Program will be able to meet the career education graduation requirement with any of the following combinations:

  • Planning 10/Graduation Transitions
  • Planning 10/Career Life Connections
  • Career Life Education/Graduation Transitions
  • Career Life Education/Career Life Connections

Additional Credits

External Course Credit

Credit may be given for Ministry-authorized learning activities developed and/or offered outside the B.C. school system that meet graduation program requirements. Some examples include: specific certificates in music, dance, languages, sport, Cadets, 4H, Guides, Scouts, water safety, Occupational First Aid levels 2 & 3, computer certification, ICBC driver education, Pony Club, flight training, boating, and fitness leader credentials. See your counsellor for more information.

Equivalency Policy

This process recognizes documented learning from outside the school system which the school district deems equivalent to the learning outcomes of Ministry developed or board authorized Grade 10, 11 or 12 level courses.

The guide to determine equivalency is approximately an 80% match of learning outcomes. An example would be credit for Japanese 11 when the student’s first language of instruction in Japan was documented as being in Japanese to a grade 8 level.

Challenge For Credit

What is the purpose of “Challenge for Credit?” The purpose is to permit students to obtain full credits for Grades 10, 11 and 12 courses because they have already acquired the appropriate learning elsewhere, but do not have a certificate or documentation as proof of learning. Challenge is not envisioned as a replacement for the valuable experience students gain by learning in a classroom setting.

How can a student achieve credit through Challenge for Credit? All challenges are provided by the The Link. Students need to meet with a Mount Douglas counsellor, who will provide the information needed.

Independent Directed Studies (IDS)

IDS credits may be granted to students who achieve learning outcomes either independently or beyond those normally taught in the classroom setting. For example, credit may be granted for IDS Information and Computer Technology 11 for an independent program of website development.

Students need to speak with a school counsellor for more details about which particular credits are possible, and how they are to be achieved.

Distributed Learning & Summer School Courses

If you attend Summer School or complete a distributing learning course, please be certain to contact the Counselling Department and verify that your marks have been recorded.